Thursday, December 29, 2016

#5 - Thursday, 29 December 2016 | Hoffman Estates, Illinois

Greetings and Happy Holidays!

On Christmas Day I moved my base to my stepfather Joel's house where my parrot Jesse has been a houseguest. We went to iPic theaters in the afternoon for an early dinner and the film Christmas Office Party. Joel and I have seen loads of movies at iPic since I returned to Chicagoland almost four years ago. It is part sports bar with a gourmet menu and part movie theater with eight small cinemas with luxury seating and wait service for food and drink. We get the premium reserved seating, which are power recliners with a pillow and blanket! Popcorn is included and for the first thirty minutes they will bring you cocktails and the full menu. I don't much care for eating in the dark other than appetizers or popcorn so we usually have our meal in the sports bar and then have a beer or two during the film.

The following day–Boxing Day in the U.K. and a number of countries that previously belonged to the British Empire, including Canada–Joel and I went shopping at his favorite grocery store where they make an amazing super kale fruit smoothie and I picked up some Amy's Organic vegetarian microwave meals for the week's dinners, and then had a wonderful sushi dinner at Wok 'N Fire in South Barrington.

I remain in the holding pattern as I await delivery of my new truck and am able to then head south. In the meantime, I continue preparations and am enjoying relaxing at coffee shops, my sister's "Plenty" home store and with Joel watching hockey games and such. My toes are still crossed that perhaps my truck will arrive today and I can be in Key West for Saturday night's New Year's Eve, but have resigned myself to that not happening in which case I will take a mini road-trip instead. I really can't put 3000 more miles on my vehicle before I trade it in so I am limited on how far I can go. But have camera, will travel ...

Happy 2017 to you and yours. All the best in the new year and beyond, MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment