Monday, April 10, 2017

#47 - Monday, 10 April 2017 - Laredo, Texas

Lake Casa Blanca International State Park is an odd place. Within the border city of Laredo’s city limits and adjacent to the Laredo International Airport, it is urban, noisy and over the weekend was overflowing with Mexican fiestas. I messaged a lovely friend this morning stating that I have a love/hate relationship with the park, and that’s about as accurate as a description as I can give. This morning I saw some beautiful birds and followed a pack of javelinas (desert collared peccaries) through the desert scrub. Cell signal is superb. The campsite is quite beautiful and has all I need. Those are the love aspects. The hate is having the place inundated with people over the weekend as everyone from both sides of the border seemed to be picnicking in the park or fishing the entire shore of the large lake. The hate is the revving of loud truck engines at 2 or 3 in the morning and children screaming after midnight. But now it is Monday and the park is again home mostly to fellow RV travelers. I am extending my stay for two more nights.

Wednesday morning I will head northwest along the Rio Grande towards Del Rio and on to Seminole Canyon State Park & State Historical Site. Because of Easter weekend I was only able to book two nights there. Nearby is Amistad Reservoir and its extensive recreation area, but its campgrounds are first-come, first-serve only and are sure to be chaos on the holiday weekend. Also, it doesn’t offer hookups and it’s been pretty hot for no air-conditioning. I found a real nice RV park with full hookups including cable TV and wifi at a reasonable rate that has amazing reviews and I will spend the 14th to 16th there before continuing west towards Big Bend one week from today.

All the best, M

No comments:

Post a Comment